110 step constraint

Gary Jasdzewski garyjaz at globaleyes.net
Wed Nov 11 18:02:26 EST 1998

Recently I posted to this group a question about the reasons why cognitive
scientists (linguists, psychologists, etc.) should pay attention to the
neurosciences.   I haven't received many replies, sad to say.  However, I
did run across an idea called the '100 step constraint' in a marvelous
book called _Speaking Minds_.  The idea is that the brain is not fast
enough to perform more than 100 computations in something like 300
milliseconds, and so any cognitive theory must take this into account.  Is
anyone familiar with this idea?  Is it well known in your field?  What are
the numbers used to calculate it?

--
gary jasdzewski
 gary at siu.edu