krebs research , Dr Kandell

Robert M. Mihalek mihalek at
Wed Nov 25 09:13:08 EST 1998

In article <365B5480.3A47 at>
Mike <roboart at> writes:

> I saw a show on the Discovery Channel last week (Nov 15-Nov 20) about
> memory.
> It had a article on a doctor named "kandell" (not sure about spelling)
> who was doing reseach on the krebs cycle in rodents.  Apparently he was
> having success in helping older rats improve their memory by using a
> substance(drug) he developed.  It was said that he intends to market the
> substance as a pill in the next 10 years.
> Also in a seperate part of the same show was a article about a man named
> HM who had amnesia for the past 30-40 years after a surgery.

Dr. Eric Kandel at Columbia University in New York City is the man. The
research in question is about a class of proteins called cyclic AMP
response-element binding proteins: CREB. These proteins have been show
to activate gene transcription in vertebrates and invertebrates
following specific types of training procedures designed to induce
long-term memory formation.

Bob Mihalek, Ph.D.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology/CCM