Right visual field to left hemisphere. Why?

Cosimo barnes.183 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 1 19:01:06 EST 1998

Basic stuff, we all know that the left hemisphere gets sensory info. from
the right side of the body and sends motor commands to the right side of
the body and vice versa for the right hemisphere.  Someone hits me with a
pretty good question the other day.  Why are we like this?  What advantage
does this wiring system have over simply wiring left to left and right to
right?  I assumed that I could pick up my undergrad. anatomy and physio.
textbook  or my grad. level neuropsychology book to get the answer but
came up empty handed.  Anyone know the answer?  Much thanx for any input.
Oh, btw, citations appreciated so I can look it up myself.

ralphus

my anti-spam e-mail -> barnes.183 at osu.edu