Time Magazine: Man of the Millennium

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Thu Oct 1 14:48:20 EST 1998

In article <6uopa7$rc$1 at quine.mathcs.duq.edu>, juola at mathcs.duq.edu
says...

> He also didn't *DO* anything with them.  I can't think of a single
> one of the fields you mention in which there are any substantial
> contributions made by Da Vinci, with the exception of painting, in
> which he produced (at least) two acknowledged masterpieces.

Leonardo was a pretty good painter, but that wasn't his contribution to
art.  He invented vanishing point perspective, which ruled western art
until Picasso demonstrated an alternative.

You're right, though.  Leonardo may have been the most interesting person
to live in 1000 years, but he was far from the most influential.

-- Larry