Info request: effects of neural tissue stimulation

Walter Eric Johnson wej3715 at fox.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 8 02:43:25 EST 1998

cpandora at home.com wrote:
: I am looking for resources regarding the effects of electrically
: stimulating neural tissue.
:
: I am primarily looking for the physiological (not clinical or
: psychological) effects in humans and what electrical parameters (e.g.
: current density) are used to achieve these effects (e.g. depolarization,
: damage). One sub-question I would like answered is what resistance does
: human neural tissue have?

I came across a reference to something you might be interested in.

Seite R, Mei N, Couineau S, Modification quantitative des
batonnets intrnucleaires des neurones sympathetiques, Journal
of Ultrastructure Research 37, 449-478, 1971

Seite R, Mei N, Vuillet-Luciani J, Effect of electrical stimulation
on nuclear microfilaments and microtubules of sympathetic neurons
submitted to cycloheximide.  Brain Research 50, 419-423, 1973

The first apparently shows that the nuclear inclusions in the cat
stellate ganglion increase in frequency following electrical
stimulation.

These were referenced on page 49 of Neurocytology by Ennio Pannese.

Eric Johnson