Serotonin and Depression

patanie at my-dejanews.com patanie at my-dejanews.com
Fri Oct 9 07:51:08 EST 1998

In article <6vk5l4$co3$1 at news.bix.asn.au>,
  "John Hasenkam" <johnhkm at logicworld.com.au> wrote:
> 7/10/98 11:04

> To  contradict myself, I'm doubtful that serotonin levels alone can explain
> depression. Does anyone know of  studies indicating how relative levels of
> serotonin, Dopamine, and norepinephrine that might explain why depression
> can occur; particularly since severe depressives can often suffer various
> visceral disorders, indicating a more global neural dysfunction.

Dear John,

Serotonin is a molecule which controls the amount of information transmitted
"from" memory to consciousness.
It anaestesises emotions in this way,at least partially.
SSRIs are "thymoanaesthetics" which means that they "cure" depression by
suppressing or decreasing general emotions.

Decreasing serotonin tone,such as with the atypical anti-depressant
Tianeptine(Stablon),shows that an "anti-depressant" effect can be elicited
both by increasing or decreasing serotonin efficiency. Only the tianeptine
type anti-depressants should be considered as authentic serotoninergic
anti-depressants because tianeptine does not blunt feelings.

Interestingly,some reports might show that people treated chronically with
Prozac can be immune to the anti-depressant effects of gamma-hydroxybutyrate,a
rapid anti-depressant hypothesised to work,mainly,through the stimulation of
oxytocin neurotransmission.

Regards,

Claude