A Brief History of the Brain-Mind

Mentifex mentifex at scn.org
Fri Oct 9 03:27:02 EST 1998

We humans have begun (and we cyborgs will finish) a most gradual
cataloging of each central nervous system (CNS) in the animal
kingdom.  For instance, the tues.6.oct.1998 Science edition of
The New York Times reports on page B12 about how Dr. S. Brenner
once upon a time resolved to decipher the nervous system of the
Caenorhabditis elegans roundworm, an organism of only 959 cells.

Unfortunately, reality balked at being deciphered by mere humans,
because the tiny CNS turned out to have five thousand connections.
Nevertheless, a trend emerges.  Let us keep track of each ever
more complex CNS that does get deciphered, until we fashion a
moving front of understoodness which marches along from small
organisms up to and perhaps beyond the human brain-mind CNS:

  /!i!i!i!i!i!\         ________ CNS              /iiiiiiiiiii\
 /visual memory\       /        \                / auditory    \
|               |     /  syntax  \--------------|------------\  |
|               |     \   node   /    ______    |  memory    |  |
|               |      \________/----/      \   |  channel   |  |
|               |           |       /function\  |            |  |
|      /--------|--------\  |       \ cable  /  |            |  |
|      |        |        |  |        \______/   |    ____    |  |
|      |        |       _V__V_           |      |   /    \   |  |
|  /percept\----|----/conceptual\        |      |   \____/   |  |
|               |                 /inflection\  |     /in- \ |  |
|               |                 \  cable   /--|----/flec- \|  |
  http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/ Standard Model of the Brain-Mind