A general comment and a farewell

Nicola Bridle nbridle at papyrus.mhri.edu.au
Thu Oct 8 22:55:08 EST 1998

Stephanator wrote:

[original post snipped]

> > You are right, of course. Even if one uses the capapilities of one's
> > newsreader to skip the likely bullshit, the return is really very slight
> > these days. I remember that someone actually offered to moderate the
> > newsgroup a while ago; clearly this what has to be done.
> >   (Oh, Cijadrachon, you do not have to comment, if you can stop that
> > automatism. It is apparent that you have knowledge, but the delusional
> > part seems to dominate).
> >
> > Dag Stenberg
>
> This place would be better called bionet.nuthouse, it was always bad,
> but now it really sucks. I agree with the original author.

 OK, you've caught me out. I thought I'd come back for  a quick peek to see how
my original post was received. It generated a bit more discussion than I had
anticipated.

To some extent, I agree with consensus that I could just use filters to remove
the crap posted by the resident kooks. But, when I compare the ease of reading
moderated , or relatively kook-free groups such as sci.med.radiology or any of
the comp.* groups ( I work in IT and  brain MRI image analysis of psychiatric
disorders), I find the effort of bionet.neuroscience too much for too little
return. I realize this is a defeatist attitude, and it is with disappointment
that I say this, so it is adieu.....perhaps I'll check back in 6 months and see
how everyone is going :-)

regards,
Nicola

Nicola Bridle                                     nbridle at papyrus.mhri.edu.au
IT Manager
Cognitive Neuropsychiatry Unit
Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria
AUSTRALIA