long term potentiation

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 9 21:34:21 EST 1998

This is a strange query.  My first impulse is to say that if you want
to know what relevance LTP has for medicine and health you have no
business studying LTP.

My impression over many years that people (and government agencies)
throwing time and money at "practical questions" almost never discover
anything relevant either to basic science OR to the practical question.

LTP is an electrophysiological phenomenon which is explored intensively
at molecular levels because some think it is a model for very basic
processes underlying memory formation.  Do you think memory formation
is relevant to health isssues?

A synapse is a site/structure where one neuron communicates to another
via a chemical messenger.  Without synapses, our brains wouldn't work.
Maybe this would be a health issue.

There is no end to the list of physiological phenomena which have
implications for medicine and health.  Why pick on LTP?

Before you ask for "the hottest ideas floating around in the
literature", ask yourself what you are interested in, and at what
level.  READ some of those articles about LTP.  Ask yourself if this is
really what you are interested in.

If you are really interested in "health related issues", perhaps you'd
do better with "public health" publications, etc.

For me, personally, a hot idea is that NO can facilitate or block LTP,
depending on when/where/how it is produced...

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

In <6vm6mf$1n1$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com> Hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
writes:

>I am doing a research project on LTP and have been brainstorming for
ideas on
>what direction(s) to take. I've been learning a lot about synaptic
efficiency
>(proposed by  Donald Hebb in his 1949 book _Organization of
Behavior_), LTP
>proper (Bliss and Lomo (1973).Journal of Physiology. 232:331-356) ,
NMDA
>receptors and the voltage mediated magnesium block, calmodulin kinase,
nitric
>oxide and arachidonic acid as putative retrograde messengers,
associative
>LTP...
>
>This is an interesting subject. How does it relate to health and
medicine,
>though? Is there a commonality in the entorhinal cortex projection to
the CA1
>region of the hippocampus known as the perforant pathway? Are there
other
>health related issues? I'd like to participate in a discussion on LTP
and
>synaptic plasticity and contribute as I learn more.
>
>I've come across an interesting reference I haven't checked out yet
(Wilson
>MA and Tonegawa S. 1997. Synaptic plasticity, place cells and spatial
memory:
>study with second generation knockout. Trends in Neurosciences
20:102-6). Has
>anyone read this study. I know that Tonegawa has done research on
>alpha-calcium-calmodulin dependant kinase II with knockout techniques
(from
>my text Delcomyn F. Foundations of Neurobiology (1997)).
>
>There's a lot of information (and controverial issues) out there about
LTP.