Serotonin and Depression

iansf at my-dejanews.com iansf at my-dejanews.com
Sat Oct 10 19:42:45 EST 1998

In article <6vl0rr$4qn$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  patanie at my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Serotonin is a molecule which controls the amount of information transmitted
> "from" memory to consciousness.
> It anaestesises emotions in this way,at least partially.
> SSRIs are "thymoanaesthetics" which means that they "cure" depression by
> suppressing or decreasing general emotions.
>
> Decreasing serotonin tone,such as with the atypical anti-depressant
> Tianeptine(Stablon),shows that an "anti-depressant" effect can be elicited
> both by increasing or decreasing serotonin efficiency. Only the tianeptine
> type anti-depressants should be considered as authentic serotoninergic
> anti-depressants because tianeptine does not blunt feelings.
>
> Interestingly,some reports might show that people treated chronically with
> Prozac can be immune to the anti-depressant effects of gamma-hydroxybutyrate,a
> rapid anti-depressant hypothesised to work,mainly,through the stimulation of
> oxytocin neurotransmission.
>
> Regards,
>
> Claude

I've read the treatise you've posted on drugs at various sites on the
Internet. I can't judge the validity of most of your arguments, but I
appreciate having the information. Questioning scientific -- and moral --
dogma is always worthwhile.

In regard to tianeptine, I have never been able to locate anyone who has used
it (though I presume many people have since it is still on the market in
Europe and South America). The theories about it are all well and good, but
what results have people actually got? Is tianpetine genuinely effective at
reducing depression? And how do the side effects compare to the SSRIs? I have
a brief brochure from the manufacturer, but I don't trust the official word.
I want to know from people who actually have used it. But where are they?

In regard to gamma hydroxybutyrate, from everything I've read it seems too
short acting for practical day-to-day use. The	fine-tuning required also
seems to make it impractical -- a little too much and you're asleep! Plus it
seems antithetical to work. And while I must admit I'm a bit antithetical to
work myself, I recognize that I unfortunately  have to do it in order to
survive. So how could it possibly fit into the surrounding culture?