long term potentiation

Hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com Hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
Sun Oct 11 19:14:18 EST 1998

On my journey through the vast LTP literature in the library, I managed to
find some decent articles. I'm still not clear on the possible relationships
of Alzheimer's disease and LTP, but on a Medline search I found several
articles, one of which I had immediate access to. The article (Nalbantoglu et
al, 1997) discusses research using transgenic mice with a segment of amyloid
precursor protein (APP) incorporated into their genome. These mice had LTP
maintenance deficits. I wonder what inferences about the relation of LTP and
AD in humans can be made. I need to hunt down similar studies in order to get
a better grasp of this issue.

Among the many studies I managed to find, a review by Bliss and Collingridge
(1993) seems to have the best overview of LTP and its complexity. The other
studies I've obtained are issue specific.

refs:

Bliss TVP and Collingridge GL. 1993. A synaptic model of memory: long-term
potentiation in the hippocampus. Nature (361): 31-9

Nalbantoglu J, Tirado-Santiago G, Lahsaini A, et al. 1997. Impaired learning
and LTP in mice expressing the carboxy terminus of the Alzheimer amyloid
precursor protein. Nature (387): 500-5

--
Scott Chase (note followups at anthym at webtv.net)