long term potentiation

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Mon Oct 12 11:42:38 EST 1998

In article <6vn6em$ejn$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
says...

>In article <6vmh3d$gom at sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>,
>  flefever at ix.netcom.com(F. Frank LeFever) wrote:
>> This is a strange query.  My first impulse is to say that if
>you want
>> to know what relevance LTP has for medicine and health you
>have no
>> business studying LTP.
>>

>My main interest is in LTP. The health relatedness is secondary. I'm
>exploring the idea (perhaps flawed) that LTP and Alzheimer's have a
>commonality due to the involvement of both in the perforant pathway
>projection from the entorrhinal cortex to CA1 area of hippocampus (or are
>they tied perhaps in some other way?).

My thesis research has to do with the direct projection from entorhinal cortex
to CA1, so I'm rather interested in any connection you see between this pathway
and Alzheimer's.  Care to elaborate?  In return, I'd be happy to give you some
pointers to relevant references.  For example, there was a whole special issue
of the journal "Hippocampus" (volume 5, 1995, starting on p. 101) devoted to
this pathway.

Just out of curiosity, whose lab are you working in?

[rest snipped]

>Scott Chase (note followups at anthym at webtv.net)
              ^^^ I wasn't sure what this meant so I sent a copy of this mail to
that address...

- Hannah Dvorak-Carbone