Time Magazine: Man of the Millennium

Michael Gerald Burton n57mgb at morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Wed Oct 14 16:03:14 EST 1998

Just on the whole woman of the millenium...

I would think that (Lady) Ada Lovelace would be more of a candidate than
any code monkey out there today.  Her ideas founded, simultaneously, the
science of computer linguistics and the field which would eventually allow
the creation of a true mass-production society.

I would think that you all know of the first honor (she was working with
Charles Babbage).  The second stems from the fact that many of her ideas
were eventually used in Jaquardian looms to bring greater efficiency to
the automating process.  And Jaquardian looms were a
demonstration-in-practice of the practicality of the same concepts used to
begin Henry Ford's empire at the turn of the next century.

So, there's at least one woman.  Catherine the Great also gets my vote,
b/c of her influence on Russian society (as much as some would like to
downplay it).

These two, at least, can give a run for the money of any male in the last
century.  In fact, Lovelace would, in my opinion, have to be at least
short-listed for PotM.

anyway, shutting up...

mikey
mburton at kelvin.physics.mun.ca