US behaviours are depressogenic

Samson smisch at tiac.net
Wed Oct 14 14:11:36 EST 1998

In article <702b63$3bl$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, patanie at my-dejanews.com wrote:

> The Inquisition against President Clinton,for example,is a very good example
> of the underlying constant inquisition which exists,in the USA,against
> pleasure.

Something that foreigners miss in all this is that most Americans
find the whole thing extremely amusing. Clinton "felt our pain":
now we're laughing it up at his. Plus, we now know that a cigar
is _not_ just a cigar...

> Pleasure is the basis of life.
> No organism will live without a reasonable amount of daily pleasure.
>
> How can you get this in an ultra-competitive society like the USA?
>
> Competition and Pleasure are mutually exclusive.

Yet another misconception. If you've never seen the gleeful
atmosphere of an American living room on a Sunday afternoon,
men drinking beer and eating nachos while watching other men
inflict pain on each other, then you won't understand how
competition and pleasure go hand in hand over here. The many
derive pleasure from the pain of the few. Primitive, perhaps,
but it works.