Serotonin and Depression

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Tue Oct 13 19:00:33 EST 1998

dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi wrote:

Dag: "Still, there may be depression cases with a genetically transmitted serotonin
defect, creating more sucseptibility to succumbing to e.g. stress."

Yes, at an extremely-lower incidence than folks, at least here in the US have been led
to believe. I saw a report, on CBS News this evening, dealing with the problem of our
Children inhaling common household substances... and dying, or becoming dibilitated...
it's a wide-spread phenomenon here in the US. It's a sorrow. The Children witness
adults around them, having learned as a result of high-pressure dynamics (the
fashionable thing being conveyed interpersonally (common peer pressure), with a big
boost by profit-seekers), that things can be "fixed", not via tending to what needs to
be done, but via the relatively-indiscriminate intake of chemical substances... as if
the engineered-in stirrings of their nervous systems are virtually all meaningless
"false alarms", and have no connection to what needs to be done not being addressed...
and when the Children emulate the adults, no one makes the connection to the learning
involved with respect to the modeled behavior. There's just so much more to Life than
folks have, in our era, focussed upon.

Let me make it explicit, I only celebrate all advances in understanding. The findings
of the Neuropharmacologists are right up there in the success of our Science. It's just
that balance is lacking in conveyance of understanding. And the imbalance makes a huge
difference.

However, in my prior post, I  failed to make it clear that I was focussing upon, and
deliberately working to correct, this imbalance that's for so long gripped presentation
of our Science, and "arguing" on behalf of thoroughness in the conveyance of
understanding... =Thank you= for correcting =my own= failure with respect to such, Dag.

Perhaps if we all lift our voices together, the so-worthy balance will be achieved. ken