long term potentiation

tong po tp at gad.zooks.emy
Wed Oct 14 04:36:03 EST 1998

F. Frank LeFever wrote:

>  Maybe instead of reading more and
> more finer and finer detail about LTP, why not read v-e-r-y
> s-l-o-w-l-y
> just ONE good GENERAL review for the LAY reader, then sit back and try
>
> to digest it and understand it.

    Wow, Frank - this seems unusually harsh coming from you.... it seems
to me like Hemidactylus has put in a good faith effort to check out some
relevant literature before posting his ideas/questions.

> You wonder about the "possible relationships of Alzheimer's disease
> and
> LTP", but it is not clear from what you write just what possible
> relationships you imagine.

>   LTP is a condition of enhanced synaptic efficiency lasting long
> after
> the stimulation which initiates it, and as such has been suggested as
> either a model for synaptic plasticity or actually a normal process
> which underlies memory formation.  Conditions which impair LTP seem to
>
> impair learning and long-term memory.  Accordingly, many pathologies
> which involve impaired memory might be based on interference with
> initiation or maintenance of LTP--but many others might not be.
>
>   Thus, it seems unlikely that LTP causes Alzheimer's, or that
> Alzheimer's causes LTP; conceivably impaired LTP underlies some
> aspects
> of Alzheimer's, but this is far from certain unless one simply
> (carelessly) equates LTP and memory.

    Alzheimer's disease is characterized by progressive dementia and a
characteristic neuropathology - the appearance of large numbers of
senile placques and neurofibrillary tangles.  Indeed, a diagnosis of
Alzheimer's is not definitive until a neuropathologist verifies the
prescence of these.  Because of this characteristic pathology (as well
as the frequent cortical atrophy), it is usually assumed that the
symptoms of AD result from the DEATH of cortical neurons.  Those
investigating LTP in transgenic AD models are addressing the alternative
possibility that the dementia may not be due strictly to loss of
neurons, but rather/also from dysfunction of neurons.  To my knowledge,
there has been evidence (suggestive, not conclusive) that hippocampal
LTP is impaired in transgenic mice models of familial AD, and
furthermore that this reduced LTP occurs prior to the appearance of any
neuropathological changes.  Paul Chapman (in Wales) has been working on
this I believe - I was unaware of the Nalbantoglu et al paper (thanks).