long term potentiation

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Wed Oct 14 20:53:15 EST 1998

[snip]

>     Alzheimer's disease is characterized by progressive dementia and a
> characteristic neuropathology - the appearance of large numbers of
> senile placques and neurofibrillary tangles.

[snip]

I've studied the wholely-functional nervous system, and I've not
specifically studied Alsheimer's, nor its organic-damage correlates, so take
what's here "with a grain of salt".

"Ttangled" neural growth does correlate well with a condition in which
neural activation "states" have been enduringly-relatively-random. This's is
because, since neural trophy occurs as a function of activation, if the
activation is relatively-disordered, the activation-dependent growth will
reflect the randomness of the activation... this'd yield "tangles"... growth
that follows a "random walk", and all manner of abnormal dynamics could
cause such, including desynchronization within what would, otherwise, be LTP
"states".

Don't know if it'll lead anywhere, but if it were in my focus, I'd look into
this a bit just to rule it out if possible.

Cheers, Scott, ken