long term potentiation

Walter Eric Johnson wej3715 at fox.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 14 21:37:52 EST 1998

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net wrote:
: [snip]
:
: >     Alzheimer's disease is characterized by progressive dementia and a
: > characteristic neuropathology - the appearance of large numbers of
: > senile placques and neurofibrillary tangles.
:
: [snip]
:
: I've studied the wholely-functional nervous system, and I've not
: specifically studied Alsheimer's, nor its organic-damage correlates, so take
: what's here "with a grain of salt".
:
: "Ttangled" neural growth does correlate well with a condition in which
: neural activation "states" have been enduringly-relatively-random. This's is
: because, since neural trophy occurs as a function of activation, if the
: activation is relatively-disordered, the activation-dependent growth will
: reflect the randomness of the activation... this'd yield "tangles"... growth
: that follows a "random walk", and all manner of abnormal dynamics could
: cause such, including desynchronization within what would, otherwise, be LTP
: "states".

I thought the neurofibrillary tangles were of neurofilaments within a
cell and not tangles of neurons themselves.  Did I misunderstand this?

Eric Johnson