Can a human being remember pain ?

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Wed Oct 14 21:28:02 EST 1998

You're both a bit correct. With respect to the "hurting-ness" of "pain", your
friend is correct. With respect to another part of "pain", you are correct.

The pathways that carry "pain" sensation include non-specifically organized
["protopathic"] components which result in "pain" activation having a
relatively-randomized quality which is, never-the-less, topologically-mapped
with respect to the rest of the nervous system. The latter mapping allows one to
experience "pain" as being localized.  The disorganized activation "state"
itself is "remembered". Subsequently, when the specific environmental correlates
of the now-former "pain" experience are encountered again, a replica of  the
formerly-learned relatively-random activation "state" called up. This replica
localizes an increased ratio of excitation to inhibition within the nervous
system so that the effectors will tend to empower the body's movement so that it
will move away from the environmental correlates of the formerly-experienced
"pain". In my work, I refer to this stuff as "warning learning". ken