anoxia

Alexey Semyanov semyanov at venus.iteb.serpukhov.su
Fri Oct 16 07:48:02 EST 1998

Short-term potassium increase is known to lead long-lasting increase in
synaptic efficiency. According to our own data it can lead EPSP-spike
potentiation in CA1 hippocampal slices. On other hand there are some
experimental evidences that brief anoxic episode can induce LTP also.
It seems to be due to potassium increase during anoxia.
Unfortunately, when I attempt to test it changing solution with gas
mixture O2+CO2 to solution with N2+CO2 I was not successful. I haven’t
seen any depression of responses during 30 min !!!
The volume of my recording chamber is about 2 ml; it is open for air.
The speed of superfusion is 2.5 ml/min. I think this problem is because
of wrong chamber construction. Could anybody suggest me something about
this situation? I will be very grateful for suitable references or
design of such chamber with a description.