long term potentiation

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Sat Oct 17 15:28:17 EST 1998

[Original response, as documented elsewhere.]

I do not know. At the level of ionic conductances, and to the degree that such
enter into activation-dependent trophic responses, it makes no difference with
respect to what I posted, does it? ken

to which I'll add, here:

On a whim, stopped in the college lib up the street and picked up the 1st 4 issues
of _Science_ in the pile... the 2nd had neurons on the cover, so I checked the toc
and found this:

see _Science_, 9Jan98, p227 (related comments p191): "Sensitivity of CaM Kinase II
to the Frequency of Ca(2+) Oscillations", by P. De Poninck and H. Schulmas [dept
of Neurology Stanford Med.]... LTP is a factor in these activity-dependent,
information-carrying dynamics... and my comments, above, apply... and there is a
major subset within the set of all AD that's non-familial.

Although it's not its main point, another article in the same issue of _Science_
your Q concisely: _Science_, 9Jan98, "Frameshift Mutants of B Amyloid Precursor
Protein and Ubiquitin-B in Alzheimer's and Down Patients", by F. W. van Leeuwen,
et. al., p242 (related discussion p174)...  "In Alzheimer's disease (AD) and Down
syndrome (DS) patients, intracellular and extracellular deposits if proteins in
tangles are correlated with neuronal dysfunction leading to dementia(cites R. D.
Terry, Et. Al. in _Alzheimer Disease_, R. D. Terry, et. al. Ed., Raven, NY, 1994,
pp179-196).

Again, I work at a fundamental level, integrating Foundation Stuff... I don't
study pathology with an eye to explaining it... but if I were studying patholgy,
after reading the De Koninck article, I'd feel Obliged to take the LTP thing the
whole nine yards.

[BTW, I do not read in the stacks much anymore... not because I do not want to,
but because its been the case for about 15 years that I can't pick up anything
without witnissing a flood that needs to be dealt with with respect to it... the
reading is too painful... folks who view the stacks as dust-receptacles don't like
such disturbed... it's a Sorrow to see how "scientists" actually feel about what
should be their Beauty.] ken