"consciousness"

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Sat Oct 17 17:40:19 EST 1998

Forgive me... I'm tired... I posted the following to
sci.psychology.consciousness, but, apparently,  that newsgroup is
"closed" to posts, or something, so, since it's Neuroscience anyway, I'd
like to see if there's anyone here who'd care to discuss. Sorry, I've
nothing left for non-sense.

[this's to =all= in this discussion.]

It doesn't require so many words.

1. One can't treat "consciousness" apart from the ambiant energy
dynamics in the "external" environment.

2. Cognition is the nervous system's "detritus" (delightful and awesome
as it is) as it processes the information-content inherent in the energy
of 1, above, tending always in a way that's directed up the gradient
that is what's described by 2 thermo (wdb2t)... even bacteria do this.

3. A nervous system is able to "know" that it's functioning is
"appropriate" to the degree that its internal energy-flow is an inverted
image of the external energy dynamics in which its host organism exists.
The inversion is correlated with the nervous system's anti-wdb2t
proclivity... it climbs the wdb2t gradient... that's where all the "good
stuff" is... that is, that's where energy is relatively abundant.

4. In order to enable the work inherent in this climbing of the wdb2t
gradient, nervous systems incorporate "servo mechanisms".

5. "consciousness" is the the differential activation of the stuff of 4,
above, relative to the directionality of an organism's internal energy
dynamics with respect to the wdb2t gradient, and goodness-of-fit with
respect to such.

I challenge all folks who study "consciousness", not only folks in
sci.psychology.consciousness, to come up with anything that needs
anything more than these few words.

K. P. Collins, author of Neuroscientific Duality Theory