Time Magazine: Man of the Millennium

mycetes at my-dejanews.com mycetes at my-dejanews.com
Tue Oct 20 11:10:36 EST 1998

In article <70fehk$ocu$1 at quine.mathcs.duq.edu>,
  juola at mathcs.duq.edu (Patrick Juola) wrote:
> Interesting.  Charles Babbage, an Englishman, writes a paper in French
> and has to have it translated into English for him.  I must admit
> that I'm skeptical about this.  Do you have a reference?

Yes

L. F. Ménabréa (1842) Notions sur la Machine Analytique de M. Charles Babbage
Bibliothèque Universelle de Génève, 41 352-76. A paper which Babbage had
intended the Italian mathematician Plana to write following his visit to
Turin in November 1840, when he took details and plans for the latest
developments in his Analytical Engine to a congress of Italian mathematicians
and natural philosophers and to whom he gave a series of lectures on the
subject. Plana, however, was unable to carry out this task, so instead he
assigned the task to an up-and-coming young colleague, Ménabréa, to do it for
him. This paper was the result.

Mycetes