long term potentiation

Hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com Hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
Fri Oct 23 16:29:41 EST 1998

In article <70nt33$8o0 at gap.cco.caltech.edu>,
  hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu (Hannah Dvorak-Carbone) wrote:
> In article <70lrmr$82g$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Hemidactylus at my-dejanews.com
> says...
>
> [snip]
>
> >I am presently in search of references that critique the use of LTP as a
> >model for vertebrate memory processing. Anybody know where I can find some
> >good ones? Perhaps LTP is a good model for memory processes, but I would like
> >for someone here to give a serious critique.
>
> I've only just started reading this article, so I don't know how good it's
> going to be, but you may want to look at Shors and Matzel 1997, Long-term
> potentiation: What's learning got to do with it?  Behavioral and Brain Sciences
> 20(4):597-655.  For those of you not familiar with this journal, it's actually
> kind of cool.  They start with an article on a controversial topic, then send
> it out to experts in the field for comments, then publish the article along
> with all the commentaries, so you get exposed to several sides of the debate.
> This may be just what you're looking for.

Thank you for the ref. I'm just starting to read two research articles that
we'll be focusing on. Once I get a better handle on them, I'll post some
thoughts and questions. They are:

Silva AJ, Stevens CF, Tonegawa S, and Wang Y. 1992. Deficient hippocampal
long-term potentiation in alpha-calcium calmodulin kinase II mutant mice.
Science (257): 201-206

Wilson MA and Tonegawa S. 1997. Synaptic plasticity, place cells and spatial
memory: study with second generation knockouts. Trends in Neurosciences (20):
102-106

I'll try to make it my library this weekend or next week to look up the
journal article you mention above. -- Scott Chase (note followups at
anthym at webtv.net)