good neuro textbooks

Stephan Anagnostaras stephan at
Fri Oct 23 21:21:57 EST 1998

The one with Breedlove "Biological Psychology" is pretty good. Level =
senior undergrad

The Bears Connors Paradiso Neuroscience book is better on basic
neuroscience but stinks in behavior or learning and memory. Level = Senior

Carlson is pretty good for a very basic text. Level = maybe 2nd year undergrad
Pinel is good for an even more basic text. = 1st year undergrad

The standard Kandel book is good for basic neuroscience. Again it stinks
for behavior, cognitive, or L+M.   Level = grad. I have seen this used as
an undergad text, I think this is crazy. Just my 2c.

- the small Kandel book is a little better in this respect, worse in basic
neuro though. Level = senior undergrad

For human neuropsych the Kolb & Whishaw book is excellent.  Level = senior
undegrad or grad

For cognitive neuroscience the Gazzaniga mondo-text is quite nice.  Level = grad
- I think the choice between K+W and Gazzaniga depends on the class focus,
they are quite different even though they cover the same kinds of

Just my 2c worth,
Good luck
Stephan Anagnostaras, Ph.D
UCLA Dept of Neurobiology