mind/soul

Neil Rickert rickert at cs.niu.edu
Fri Oct 30 11:48:49 EST 1998

"Ray Scanlon" <rscanlon at wsg.net> writes:

>Of course, the environment is part of the equation, I never said or thought
>otherwise. With a specific person, we may speculate on the relative
>importance of DNA versus environment and that too is interesting. I do take
>exception when people say that the brain is fundamentally different from the
>pancreas, that DNA does not construct both.

The DNA does not construct either the pancreas or the brain.  DNA is
a set of specifications for making proteins.  A blueprint does not
construct a house or anything else, but carpenters and bricklayers
may use the blueprint in carrying out their construction.  DNA
doesn't construct anything.  The machinery of the living cell
constructs, and uses the DNA in the construction.