Matt Jones jonesmat at
Fri Oct 30 16:52:27 EST 1998

In article <cd7_1.804$Ak.295 at> Ryan,
bluemoon at writes:
>Who is considered the father of chemistry of the brain?

Oh, in my relative ignorance, I'll guess Otto Loewy, who discovered (I
think) that the nerves around the heart secrete this stuff ("Vagusstuff",
sp?) that makes the heart change it's rhythm. Then, either he or someone
else isolated it and found that it was the chemical acetylcholine. First
precise connection between a defined chemical substance and
neurotransmission that I'm aware of.

Now, who's the "mother" of the chemistry of the brain?

Matt Jones