mind/soul

Ray Scanlon rscanlon at wsg.net
Fri Oct 30 16:15:22 EST 1998

Neil Rickert wrote in message <71cqlh$gol at ux.cs.niu.edu>...
>"Ray Scanlon" <rscanlon at wsg.net> writes:
>
>>Of course, the environment is part of the equation, I never said or
thought
>>otherwise. With a specific person, we may speculate on the relative
>>importance of DNA versus environment and that too is interesting. I do
take
>>exception when people say that the brain is fundamentally different from
the
>>pancreas, that DNA does not construct both.
>
>The DNA does not construct either the pancreas or the brain.  DNA is
>a set of specifications for making proteins.  A blueprint does not
>construct a house or anything else, but carpenters and bricklayers
>may use the blueprint in carrying out their construction.  DNA
>doesn't construct anything.  The machinery of the living cell
>constructs, and uses the DNA in the construction.

Oh! Neil, you are so correct. I know the entire universe is just a wave
function but I tend to forget. I look at the circle of life and pick a point
to enter the circle to try to understand it. Silly me, I should have picked
the centrioles. When the centrioles crack the whip, the DNA jumps through
hoops. Let us forget the higher plants and go with the centrioles. The
"machinery of the living cell" consists of molecules, and all molecules are
equal. Still, as was pointed out in Animal Farm, some molecules are more
equal than others.

I am so naive (and so old). Is it possible that the mention of DNA is
politically incorrect? Is that the trouble? Are those worker molecules, the
large and small ribosomal subunits, the real heroes in this tale?

Enough! I am undeconstructed and unreconstructed, I will go to my grave a
reductionist. The DNA constructs the organism by pushing out mRNA. Let us
have no holistic talk about the "living cell".

Ray
Those interested in how the brain works might look at
www.wsg.net/~rscanlon/brain.html