mind/soul

Luke Sjulson luke.sjulson at jhu.edu
Wed Oct 28 21:17:55 EST 1998

> The important thing is that this beautifully precise wiring is accomplished
> with only a few rules. One to preserve neighborhood, and several to
> determine destination. This is NOT n factorial. Mathematical arguments from
> the "bowl of porridge" are hopelessly naive.

	I just started reading this thread now, so maybe I'm missing your
point, but it seems to me that those arguments are not naive.  At least
as they were taught to me, their entire point is to demonstrate that
there can not be enough information stored in DNA to deterministically
code for the location and strength of every synapse in the CNS, so they
must be formed during development according to "rules," which is
precisely your point.  This might not have been obvious in the
"reticular theory" days, but I think it is now, considering how much is
now known about cell migration, neurotrophins, growth cone guidance,
etc. etc...

Luke Sjulson
luke.sjulson at jhu.edu