mind/soul (unloved babies, etc.)

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 31 23:07:59 EST 1998

Well, just for starters, if you mean the poor unloved babies in the
film which I saw decades ago, as a student (and perhaps eventually
showed to my own students), I'm not so sure they did get everything
except love; a significant degree of malnutrition was involved, as
well.

If you want to get a look at some exquisitely detailed current research
oon the effects of early experience/maternal-infant interaction on
brain fine-grain neurochemical neuroanatomy, see a series of papers by
Michael Meaney and colleagues (working out of McGill).

I am amazed at the vehemence of this fellow's attack on soomething he
clearly does not understand very well.  Exactly what threat does he
perceive?

Even when someone trying to explain the role of DNA in development
concedes (as everyone in the scientific community readily admits) that
the environment is involved, this is perceived as a lie,
concealing--WHAT???  What on earth do these people imagine?

Let me put it more strongly: those in the scientific community working
in genetics and development don't just "concede" a role for
environment; rather, it is the painstaking moment-by-moment analysis of
exactly HOW the DNA of the germ plasm and the DNA of somatic cells
interact with other elements of the internal and external environments
that is their life's work!

If this hysterical DNA-phobe had any understanding at all of how this
interaction works to alter the signals too which cells and their
constituents respond, he would not demand to know why cells do not all
react the same way because they all have the same DNA.

Over and over again, in this newsgroup, I see ignorant people imagining
that their special insight is something unique, having not the faintest
suspicion that others (smarter and better read than they, perhaps older
as well) have had these same insights, long before, and either accepted
them as truisms widely known, or elaborated on them and developed them
further, or rejected them--depending on how the insight held up against
experience.

I append the whole pathetic exchange.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group