mind/soul

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 31 22:03:46 EST 1998

In <3639c986.0 at ns2.wsg.net> "Ray Scanlon" <rscanlon at wsg.net> writes:

- -- - - - - - - - (snip) - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - -(snip) - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>Ray
>Those interested in how the brain works might look at
>www.wsg.net/~rscanlon/brain.html

By happy coincidence, I was at the NYU Center for Neural Science last
week, for a talk by Michael Gazzaniga (listed in the NYNG fall
calendar, bytheway...), in the course of which he showed a series of
slides of brain MRIs, identical twins paired with each other (side by
side) and of course looking down the series of paired twins one could
compare each with unrelated cases.  He flipped through them fairly
quickly (they not being the main point of the talk), but evenso the
similarities between each of the identical twin siblings and their
dissimilarity from others was striking, just at the gross level of
size, shapes of various structures, gyral convolutions, etc.

Obviously (as Ray points out), experience fine tunes even the gross
shape and size, to say nothing of the shaping beyond neuroimaging (e.g.
underlying one twin speaking English and another speaking Italian if
reared apart), but the extent to which DNA interacting with its
environment (internal, external) achieves such an orderly outcome is
truly impressive.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group