Time Magazine: Man of the Millennium

Craig Burley burley at tweedledumb.cygnus.com
Thu Sep 24 10:16:15 EST 1998

postmaster at (Warrl kyree Tale'sedrin) writes:

> The United States was, among industrialized nations, about the LAST to
> eliminate slavery.

I don't have much knowledge about this, so: what nations were
considered industrialized at that time, and to what extent did
each undertake the sort of nation-wide building of vast
infrastructure that the USA undertook (and which apparently
contributed to its subsequent military might) over the next
150 years?

(It's my impression that it's fairly easy to eliminate slavery,
especially my legislative fiat, once the major task of building
is completed, the population is relatively stabilized, and the
available land relatively well-colonized.  Otherwise I'd assume
there'd be difficulty convincing people to stay and work on
building infrastructure or doing the hard work of feeding those
who did, when freedom permitted them to find their fortunes

"Practice random senselessness and act kind of beautiful."
James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson    burley at gnu.org