Time Magazine: Man of the Millennium

Warrl kyree Tale'sedrin postmaster at
Sat Sep 26 21:49:08 EST 1998

Peter da Silva wrote in alt.memetics:

>Slaves were mostly used in labor-intensive cash crops. Cotton is the
>obvious one, but there's plenty of others. And I've heard it argued that
>without the mechanical methods of harvesting and processing cotton that
>were one of the products of the industrial revolution the south would
>still be effectively a slave society.

The end of slavery begins with the invention of an ox-yoke (or the
equivalent for whatever the available non-human beast of burden is).

However, it sometimes takes a long time for the end of slavery to

The reason the ox-yoke marks the beginning of the end of slavery is
because without this invention, the load-pulling ability of a beast of
burden (in relation to the cost of its food) is the same as that of a
slave.  Any greater load tends to choke the beast.

But the ox-yoke VASTLY increases the pulling capacity of the ox, while
only slightly increasing the load-pulling capacity of the human.

All of a sudden, the use of humans as beasts of burden is horribly
inefficient.  And every other use of slaves that is economically
productive enough to support a slaveholding culture, draws on the
slaves' brains.  Slaves aren't stupid - unless being stupid is the
smart thing for them to do.  And slaves who think are extremely

Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, ß227,
any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address
is subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500
US.  E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.