Time Magazine: Man of the Millennium

Brett Evill b.evill at spamblocker.tyndale.apana.org.au
Sun Sep 27 21:31:02 EST 1998

In article <6uem23$9nk at panix.com>, davidc at panix.com (David B. Chorlian) wrote:

>If we consider serfdom the European equivalent of slavery, it
>was pretty much eliminated in Western Europe in all its forms
>by 1815, courtesy of the French Revolution and Napoleon.  It
>persisted in Russia until the 1860's and, in some ways, past
>then.  The French eliminated slavery in the colonies as a result
>of the revolution, and the British by 1850.

Earlier. I haven't checked the exact date, but I am sure that the British
were suppressing slavery even in international waters by 1824 (with the
concurrence of an international convention to which the French and
Spanish, at least, were parties).

Brett Evill

To reply by e-mail, remove 'spamblocker.' from <b.evill at spamblocker.tyndale.apana.org.au>