gene knock out concept

Cijadrachon cijadra at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Apr 18 19:53:48 EST 1999

"Edward Justin Modestino, A.L.B." <ejmodest at sas.upenn.edu> wrote:

>I am looking for a basic explanation of of the gene knock out concept in
>mice.  I believe that one would take mouse semen and extract the specific
>gene.  Then pair the semen cells (with the extracted gene) with mouse eggs
>to produce a zygote implanted into a mouse womb.  Then one would mate
>several generations of these brothers and sisters to attempt to produce
>offspring that were missing both copies of the original gene.  Do I have
>this correct?  What am I missing?

Humane aspects.

Respect for other mammal persons.

Respect for the freedom of other persons.

Respect for the mother you are sounding like wishing to injure to
satisfy your curiousity.

Concern for the wellfare of other mammal persons.

I'd guess what you are missing is
that someone is imprisoning you for the rest of your life,
is giving you just your sisters for mating,
and is crippling you
and your children,
to test out what might happen.

Evenb if it were done just for some years
I doubt that afterwards you'd still feel the wish to do so to others;
then you might more feel with what is done to others
declared possessions and inferior
to satisfy some nerds wants.