School Shootings & Psychoactive Drugs

ken collins kenpc at banet.net
Mon Apr 26 17:59:28 EST 1999

wildearth wrote:

> Malcolm McMahon wrote in message <37251f8c.4121606 at news.demon.co.uk>...
> >

> >Well I certainly remember being exposed to violence as entertainment in
> >my formative years in the fifties and sixties. It wasn't as realistic
> >but I'm not convinced that lack of realism shouldn't actually make
> >things worse.
>
> Violent movies in the 50 and 60's are incomparable to the vivid, positively
> reinforced violence in entertainment today.  The explicit realism, watched
> repeatedly, desensitizes the viewer.  The shadowy, obfuscated violence of
> the past did not have the same effect on the viewer.  Perhaps you should do
> your own comparison and watch a 50's movie and 90's movie back to back.
> >
> >People want, very much, to believe that the bad behaviour of children is
> >due to some environmental influence beyond their control. The Internet
> >is the latest scapegoat but TV is still going strong. Before that is was
> >rock-and-roll. Before that comic books.
>
> Quite the contrary, people want to *deny* the adverse affects so that they
> can continue to satiate their appetites for violence. Yet the adverse
> affects are clearly documented in my psych text and documented by research.
> >
> >I have to say that I was grimly ammused by Clinton's speach about how
> >parents ought to prevent their children accessing things glorifying
> >violence. I wonder if that thought included guns?
> >
> >Truth is every viable society has to feed it's boys on a diet of action
> >hero stories because young men are always called upon to do any
> >necessary killing and dying. A society that failed to do this would be
> >replaced in a few generations with one that did. It would be nice to
> >live in a world where we could survive without a warrior class but we
> >don't.
>
> Today, young men and women volunteer for military duty.  And, a division
> between a "warrior" class and everybody else is slowly dissolving.
> >
> >There is, I think, within all of us a resentment of the necessary
> >restrictions of social living. The conflict between our genetic and our
> >socially inculcated drives. The Fenris Wolf bound by a magic cord of
> >domestication. (see http://www.pigsty.demon.co.uk/fenris.html for an
> >essay on the subject). There's no good pretending it's not there or
> >trying to starve the poor beast on a diet of blandness. Rather we must
> >pay carefull attention to the state of the cord. We must accept the
> >presence of Evil within us and see to it that within is were it stays.
>
> If evil, as you say, is to stay within, then it is violent behavior modeling
> we need to do without.
>
> >If child violence has become more commonplace I'm affraid that it's may
> >be down to just what thinking people don't want it to be - lack of
> >discipline.
>
> A lack of discipline which is modeled in the movies.  What ever happened to
> the concept of modeled behavior and learning by observation?  Old hat?

an example that exposes the fact that the status quo, with
respect to the question you raise, is "just" a big lie has been
in the news recently... a student fighter pilot was so able to
increase the level of performance that he brought into
fighter-pilot's school, by using an off the shelf flight
simulator, that the military is buying the game for it's flight
students.

...but we all "know" that none of these modern media "don't
influence behavior"... yeah, sure... it's all "just" a huge lie,
foisted upon the innocents of Society by the predation of the
"profit" seekers.

[i'll say, again, here, that i've nothing against profits... why
not reward folks who, through their labors, lift up everyone?
what i stand against is "profit" seeking that preys upon
innocents... one can distinguish between the two because the
former lifts up, while the latter tears down.

[...]

i Thank you for the Courage that's in your post. K. P. Collins
(ken)