DG Dispatch - AAN: Differences In Brain Size Found In Hyperactive Children

John johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au
Sun Aug 1 03:55:38 EST 1999

F. Frank LeFever wrote in message <7o0i5d$hrr at dfw-ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>...

>Well, thanks to John for so many interesting references.  My own
>preference would be for joournal citattioons rather than web sites,
>especially with very long URLs!)--for example, would be easier for me
>to get Lancet off the shelf than even to go online (much less type in
>the URL!).  I'm thinking aboutt the one abput mirror therapy in stroke
>(sounds like Ramachandran).

You may want to update your reader\browser, you should be able to copy the
long links and then paste straight into address line. The links are long
because I've been digging around archives, partly for my ever wandering
interest (there's an attention problem for me) but also keeping in mind
recent threads and interests. Unfortunately friends have dragged me back
into the big ol' world so the links won't keep coming except once or twice a
week. I've only been here a year and prior to that read popular level texts
on the stuff. My experience here has transformed my thinking in too many
ways to count at present, I have a lot of thinking still ahead forever at a
guess. So thanks to everybody because this has been the only time I ever had
the opportunity to enter into discussions about all this; and I can assure
you that TRYING to learn this stuff in silence is a very frustrating
experience at times.

I'll try to give journal references, not that I read them, but understand
their value. A number of these links had no such refs, there's seem to be
this creeping habit of press releases and teases, sometimes raising the
ambiguity index too high for science but sufficient for art. Novels are made
of the stuff.

What intrigues me about this finding re ADD is the specificity of the
deficit, the paper probably states whether the changed density is consistent
throughout the region, I'm thinking of depth here, where are the cells
lacking exactly: this may suggest an etiological clue. Now, I have a vague
ref about ADD, dorsolateral, orbitofrontal (differentiated functions
within), and their interactions\distinctions.

John
Remove XXXX in reply address