Unexplained memory disorder

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 1 12:36:17 EST 1999

C. Thomas Wild cites one example of what I alluded to in my first reply to Liam; it might not be "memory" per se.  Failure to make the initial "registration" MIGHT be one basis for what is perceived to be a "memory" problem, and ADD or some other condition might underly this in some cases, and a catecholamine boost might in some cases be helpful (in ADD, methylphenidate or amphetamine is more commonly used than caffeine; as I understand it, caffeine's actions via adenosine indirectly augments or parallels dopamine activity).

One of my speakers at the NYNG conference I organized this spring, Muriel Lezak (well-known to neuropsychologists as author of "Neuropsychological Assessment", Oxford, now in 3rd edition) spoke on "Memory Problems that are not Problems with Memory: How to Diagnose and Treat Them".

The key word in her title is "DIAGNOSE"; no point pursuing this treatment and that before an expert and complete neuropsychological exam allows evaluation of the full range of deficits (and of assets); not just presence or absence, but magnitude, and implicationss of a particular pattern of deficits.  (You may be aware of "memory" problems, but unaware of others which need to be taken into consideration before planning a course of treatment.)

On the other hand, unless you are already saturated with caffeine (some populations are, e.g. recovering alcoholics, chronic schizophrenics,and probably some yet-to-be-diagnosed adult ADD people), it is easy enough to see if a few really big cups of strong coffee have a favorable impact...If this seems to help, and if NO other problems emerge, OK!

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group