brains of retarded persons

Dave L daveludlow.no-spam at clara.co.uk
Sun Aug 1 19:48:43 EST 1999

On 31 Jul 1999 04:21:23 -0400, Allan Adler <ara at zohar.ai.mit.edu>
wrote:

>I've read and heard some accounts of the use of certain scans of
>human brains. I think they monitory the amount of oxygen used
>by each part of the brain using MRI, but I'm not really sure.
>Using this technique, they have been able to determine which
>parts of the brain "light up" when certain tasks are performed.
>They have also determined differences in the ways the brains of
>people suffering from depression work.
>
>What I would like to know is whether these techniques have been
>applied to the brains of retarded persons, particularly those
>whose retardation was induced by brain damage suffered at birth.
>I would be interested in reading the relevant literature.
>
>Allan Adler
I am aware of a scanning tool for cerebral blood flow - SPECT imaging.
Not what you asked about but it may be relevant. Try this link for a
brief explanation: http://hyperbaric-oxygen.com/spect2.htm

BTW, as you may know, HBOT for long term brain damage (e.g. CP) is an
unproven therapy and currently the subject  of much debate.
Discussion on this  (and other actual/potential therapies) surfaces
from time to time in  alt.support.cerebral-palsy; sometimes you can
get a useful link or two (in between the arguments!).

My interest (as a parent) is in learning and physical disabilities
caused by brain damage from birth asphyxia/hypoglycemia,  and in
potential therapies. I wonder what your ... Oops - sorry, drifting off
topic :)

--
Dave L