THIQ question

Anonymous user1804 at abcflash.net
Tue Aug 3 00:02:15 EST 1999

Matt Jones wrote in message <7o503t$4r$1 at fremont.ohsu.edu>...
>In article <7o4r6c$2b6 at dfw-ixnews11.ix.netcom.com> Anonymous,
>user1804 at abcflash.net writes:
>>I understand that alcohol can eventually break down into THIQ over time in
>>selected group, namely alcoholics. Are there any known substances which
are
>>capable of attaching themselves to THIQ molecules in the brain and
removing
>>them from the receptor site they are attached to?   If not, is there the
>>potential for the discovery of such a substance/procedure?
>>

>Can you tell us what THIQ is (i.e., it's chemical structure)?  Alcohol
>(i.e., ethanol) is a pretty simple molecule:
>
>    H  H
>     |   |
>H-C-C-OH
>     |   |
>    H  H
>
>It seems unlikely that it can "break down" into anything with a
>complicated-sounding name like THIQ, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
>Matt Jones

As far as I understand, THIQ (tetrahydro isoquinoline) is an opiate-like
molecule
produced in the brain of heroin users. It is also formed in some alcoholics
over time. Alcohol normally breaks down into acetaldehyde, then into H2O and
CO2. But in some
people, after alcohol breaks down into acetaldehyde, it is introduced into a
chemical
which naturally occurs in the body and it turns into THIQ. THIQ is shaped
similar to the body's natural opiates, but it is shaped differently enough
so that it is not removed from the receptor site. There is probably much
that I am leaving out, but that's what I understand about it. THIQ is said
to be the primary contributing chemical responsible for alcohol
cravings, and apparently it never leaves the brain once it has formed.
   I haven't really read too muich about it, but from what I do know, I
believe that once
mankind unlocks the secrets within this process, the treatment alcoholism as
we know it
(and perhaps heroin addiction as well) will take a drastic change.

Eric