Unexplained memory disorder (P.S.)

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 2 23:44:24 EST 1999

Is it a memory problem or an "oppositional" problem?

I tell you "clinical neuropsychologist" and you tell me "memory
researcher" or "neurologist" or "neuropsychiatrist".

It's as if you said your car had an "transmission" problem, and when I
asked whether you had seen an auto mechanic you saied, "yes, I've seen
carpenters, masons, electricians, everybody!  My car's problem is a
mystery nobody can solve!"

Neurologists are good if you have a problem with something below the
brainstem, or perhaps something above if it is an obvious and
well-known syndrome.  Neuropsychiatrists are good if you have some
well-recognized organic condition that involves "psychiatric" symptoms.

Both will make a diagnosis based on a brief interview and review of
your history (itself a product of a few brief interviews?) and perhaps
some routine lab tests (CT, spinal tap? you name it).

Academminc "memory researchers" ay actually administter soome tests,
but are not likely to have the clinical experience oor knowledge to
interpret them in terms of clinical diagnoses.

A clinical neuropsychologist will (1) test memory exhaustively, using
objective tests with well-developed norms (i.e. so they can say how far
your performance differs from the average IF at all)--in coontrast to a
neurologist or neuropsychiatrist asking you to "remember these three
objects" and asking you what they were 5 minutes later, and assuming
they know how many you should remember...(Visual memory?  tyPes of
visual memory?  recognition vs. recall? learning vs. remembering?
short vs. long delay?  free vs. cued recall?  coding vs. storage vs.
retrieval?  HU-U-U-U-UHHHHH?)

They might recall hearing SOME of these terms, but these would be
residues of their early training, not anything they address in their
clinical practice.  Their time is too valuable for them to even considr
administering lengthy objective tests.

The academic memory researchers will knoow much more than I doo about
the history of all of these terms, and the latest findings regarding
these aspects of memory--but they will not know them in a clinical
context, will probably not test any of these things using clinically
normed tests, and if they do will not have the clinical experience to
relate them to specific syndromes, and will NOT have the resourcs or
expeience to testt things OTHER THAN MEMORY which may be relevant to
tthe "presenting" problem.

When I asked if you had seen a neuropsychologist, I MEANT "a
neuropsycholologist".

I stiill don't see a simple answer to my simple queation:  WHICH
University?  (and was it a neuropsych CLINIC or just an academic memory
lab?)

Your inability to organize your replies or your search effectively
might suggest to some neuropsychologists an explanation for your
problems which may have nothing to do with memory at all, although it
may seem so subjectively.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group