Dynamical states in ERP-data?

Axel Hutt hutt at cns.mpg.de
Tue Aug 3 03:55:45 EST 1999

Hi,

> I may be showing my ignorance re low vs. dimensional states, but except
> for the organization involved in 40Hz binding together of disparate
> sites, one usually associates organization with sleep, pathological
> states (e.g. seizure, etc.)  (I'm jumping to the conclusion that this
> soort of organization can be described in just a few parameters and
> would therefore exemmplify "low-dimensional" sttates, but maybe I do
> not understand the terms so well)
that is the thing I am talking about, right. Some kind of organization.
But this 40Hz-thing is measured in single trial data, in unaveraged data
I suppose.

> IF I am interpreting these terms/understanding these concepts
> correctly, my query a few weeks (months?) ago regarding "theta" might
> be relevant.  Hippocampal theta can be specified simply, I think (i.e.
> it is EEG activity within a very slow range, in contrast to the high
> reange of 40Hz),
what do you mean by slow range? Low freqeuncy, near alpha range? Or even
at lower frequency?

> and has been associated witth cognitive processes
> (e.g. memory formattion?) as has been another "theta"
> (thalamo-frontal??) found during problemm solving(?);
yes, that is the frequency range I am interested in. Here one
seems to find some kind of low-dimensionality, means high
organziation.

> but my query had
> to do with "theta" of pathology--same simple description ("c. 6 Hz"),
> but quite antithetical to cognition.
hmmmm.....

> Well, hope you can find something oof heuristic value in this, anyway..

Thanx for the information.

A.Hutt

--

                                Axel Hutt
              Max-Planck-Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience