Dynamical states in ERP-data?

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 3 21:58:36 EST 1999

Was near the end of a VERY long and VERY detailed answer to this, with
much discussion of relevant concepts, references, etc., when my
Fascistic internet "Service" provider (Netscape/Mindspring)
intterrupted with the assertion that too much time had passed without
"activity", and I was being immediately disconnected. There was no
option offered for me to do some token "activity" and avoid the loss of
my message.  Even iuf I had the heart to ttry over, it is getting a
little late.

Maybe tomorrow.

Well, if you have access to it, much of what I was trying to say is in
my chapter in the NY Academy of Sciences _Annals_, vol. 620 (1991),
"Windows on the Brain: Neuropsychology's Technological Frontiers."

...One section of it discusses 40Hz; some parameters of temporal
resolution, and some suggested uses.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

In <37A6AE91.74FB525F at cns.mpg.de> Axel Hutt <hutt at cns.mpg.de> writes:

>Hi,
>
>> I may be showing my ignorance re low vs. dimensional states, but
except
>> for the organization involved in 40Hz binding together of disparate
>> sites, one usually associates organization with sleep, pathological
>> states (e.g. seizure, etc.)  (I'm jumping to the conclusion that
this
>> soort of organization can be described in just a few parameters and
>> would therefore exemmplify "low-dimensional" sttates, but maybe I do
>> not understand the terms so well)
>that is the thing I am talking about, right. Some kind of
organization.
>But this 40Hz-thing is measured in single trial data, in unaveraged
data
>I suppose.
>

>> IF I am interpreting these terms/understanding these concepts
>> correctly, my query a few weeks (months?) ago regarding "theta"
might
>> be relevant.  Hippocampal theta can be specified simply, I think
(i.e.
>> it is EEG activity within a very slow range, in contrast to the high
>> reange of 40Hz),
>what do you mean by slow range? Low freqeuncy, near alpha range? Or
even
>at lower frequency?
>

>> and has been associated witth cognitive processes
>> (e.g. memory formattion?) as has been another "theta"
>> (thalamo-frontal??) found during problemm solving(?);
>yes, that is the frequency range I am interested in. Here one
>seems to find some kind of low-dimensionality, means high
>organziation.
>

>> but my query had
>> to do with "theta" of pathology--same simple description ("c. 6
Hz"),