CHIMPANZEES CAN TELL: What's In a Face?

Dave Timpe davetimpe at NOSPAMcybrzn.com
Wed Aug 4 21:54:33 EST 1999

John <johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au> wrote in message
news:933820237.645623 at server.australia.net.au...
| "According to a report in the June 17 issue of Nature, chimpanzees can
| easily recognize faces of their brethren presented in digitized
photographs.
| "
|
| http://www.cc.emory.edu/WHSC/YERKES/NEWSROOM/parr_990616.html

Your summary leaves out a lot.  The chimps could tell which of a pair of
unfamiliar chimps were related if they were mother and son, but couldn't
make the same judgement if they were mother and daughter.  The implication
the Yerkes people got out of that was that it helped a strange female chimp
moving into a group to know who was related to whom, since the females
usually leave the group they're born in.  Being able to judge relatedness of
male chimps presumably helped them avoid incest, according to some
interpretations I've seen.  I think it also helped them to know which female
chimp was connected to the Alpha male, but I haven't seen that suggested
anywhere.

--
Dave Timpe

davetimpe at cybrzn dot com