Exercise boosts brainpower

Ken Collins KPaulC at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 4 22:20:26 EST 1999

semi-cryptic lead-in: although i'm just back into other things, i've got to
post something that conveys something else, and your msg is the one that i
choose to do so :-)

just as it's a certainty that MRI of the musculature shows the effects of
exercise, the future will show the same sort of thing with respect to the
effects of hard-thinking ['exercise'] with respect to 'microscopic trophic
modifications'.

such has been right-there for anyone who's wanted to see it since the
Beginning... in the form of "Wisdom's" augmentation... which is an increase
in neural information-processing's efficiency, flat-out visible in the
quantity of anything 'thunk' per unit 'time', as is measurable in the 'time'
courses of problem-solving pre-practice relative to post-practice.

but in the future, MRI-like scanners will be developed that see such
directly. the 'key' to these scanners will be that they'll incorporate
'remembering'... that is, they'll not only view the 'current moment', but
they'll see the 'current moment' in light of the preceding collection of
'moments'.

this can already be done, if arduously, by making slurries of the neural
stuff of test animals, at various stages of sufficiently-rigorously-governed
'learning' paradigms, with simultaneous 'EEG'-like monitoring of net neural
activation.

take the 'slurry' and analyze it with respect to that which has increased
[as in the 'racing-of-the-stripes' stuff of genetic 'fingerprinting'... the
increase in this stuff, when 'weighed' against the seeming 'unchangingness'
of the 'EEG'-like trace discloses that which is correlated to 'learning' and
the augmentation of neural information-processing efficiency that underpins
agumented problem-solving efficiency, with practice.

the 'slurry'-stuff will, in this way, yield key insights [what molecular
stuff, etc.], which will, subsequently, underpin the development of new
types of MRI-like scanners... only these future scanners will do the
'remembering' thing.

and you know what?

what they see will be TD E/I(min).

cheers, John, ken collins

[now, i'm satisfied with the 'outward' content of this msg, but hope
folks'll look 'inward'... all along, it's been the case that i've been
working to convey the essence for which there exist no words... if, at
'times', it's seemed 'too-much', folks just weren't "looking-'inward'"
sufficiently... all my 'jumping-up-and-down, flapping-my-arms, doing
'word-grimaces', etc., have been to communicate the essence with respect to
which 'words'... 'language'... was insufficient. "get the 'picture'"? KPC]