First letter of Oz to the NG

Malcolm McMahon malcolm at pigsty.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 8 16:21:49 EST 1999

On Fri, 06 Aug 1999 21:16:34 -0700, robert <rlmunoz at mediaone.net> wrote:

>> Freedom the (relative) absence of externally imposed restraints. This is
>> not really the issue here, I think. The issue is about motivation. What
>> makes you decide what you _want_ to do.
>
>My opinion:
>
>Motivation, motive, suggests or is the reason if you will, for doing.
>Motives are driven by goals, needs and wants.

Yes, when you get to the fundamentals motives and goals are the same
thing. The essential point is that motives are the axioms of the system
of logic that dictates behaviour. As with a mathematical system of
induction the axioms form the foundation, they cannot be derived from
the system of logic but necessarilly come from outside it.

In our case I believe they come from two evolutionary processes, genetic
evolution and social evolution. Genetic evolution has, amongst other
things, programmed us to participate in social evolution. Yet there are
often conflicts between the goals imposed by genetics and those
inculcated by society.