Do vision cells have an intrinsic orientation?

Ken Collins KPaulC at email.msn.com
Fri Aug 13 21:43:41 EST 1999

Quoting from the electronic version of AoK's Preface, in the hope that doing
so will clarify my position [the paper version, which has had only limited
circulation, is longer than what's here]:

                               PREFACE

    Neuroscientific  Duality  Theory  makes  special  use of, and
    integrates,  globally-relevant  information  that  has   been
    gathered  by  the  neuroanatomists  and  the  neuroscientific
    experimentalists.  An   example  of   such  globally-relevant
    information  is  that  which  pertains  to  the phenomenon of
    decussation. The term, "decussation", refers to the manner in
    which the vast  majority of long  fibers passing to  and from
    the high levels of the central nervous system cross from  one
    side  of  the  body   to  the  other.  This   neuroanatomical
    phenomenon has long been  known to exist ubiquitously  within
    mammalian  central  nervous  systems,  but the phenomenon had
    gone unexplained.  I have  found "treasure"  that was  hidden
    within this phenomenon and others like it. This "treasure" is
    the subject of this paper and its appendices.

    This manuscript  focusses upon  things which,  I believe, are
    reified for the first time in Neuroscientific Duality Theory.
    These include:

    - the fundamental information-processing geometry  (topology)
      of the CNS

    - the principle which unifies the functioning of the CNS (its
      "Fundamental Wisdom")

    - the   relationship  that   exists  between   neurochemical
      phenomena,  neural  architecture  (topology) and
      information-processing within the CNS

    - the   biological   mechanism   which  underlies  variable
      perceptions of the passage of "time"

    - how abstract decision-making occurs within the CNS

    - the  manners  in  which  automatic  error  detection   and
      correction occur within the CNS

    - the  manner in  which "drives"  (hunger, thirst, sexuality,
      etc.) and higher-level  cognitive functioning are
      integrated within the CNS

    - the  manner in  which "drive"  conditions and  higher-level
      cognitive conditions are automatically prioritized
      hierarchically

    - concrete biological mechanisms for the phenomena of:

    - creativity

    - curiosity (the information-processing role of novelty)

    - "conscience"

    - volition

    - general attraction/avoidance ("motivation")

    - automatic front-center orientation propensities

    - "love"

    - "hate"

    - "fight/flight (anger/fear) propensities

    - the information-processing rationale of aggression

    - the inertia of information processing within the CNS

    - "habituation"

    - prejudice

    - animal territoriality

    - nationalism

    - "addiction"

    - the information-processing usefulness of biological reward

    - the information-processing usefulness of stochastic
      activation within the CNS

    - the  information-processing  usefulness  of  the   diffuse
      activation which underlies pain

    - the information-processing rationale of an infant's "crying
      behavior"

    - the  information-processing  rationale  of   ubiquitously-
      occurring facial expressions

    - the information-processing  rationale of the  phenomenon of
      "depression"

    - the information-processing rationale of "mourning" behavior

    - the information-processing rationale of "boredom"

    - the relatively-slow development of high-level information-
      processing capacities within the CNS

    - the automation of learning within the CNS

    - "active" learning

    - "passive" learning

    - "inductive" learning

    - "unlearning"

    - Information  Calculus  (this  mathematical  technique  was
      developed as a solution to the cortical "addressing"
      problem)

    - information-content "addressing" (recognition, integration,
      and effector-driving,  storage, retrieval,  and
      modification) within the CNS

    - the  way in  which the  functioning of  sensory, motor  and
      association areas are integrated within the CNS

    - "supersystem configuration"

    - "dynamic subordinate coupling"

    - the information-processing and developmental rationales for
      the ubiquitous occurrence  of "stripes" and  "columns"
      within the cortex

    - the nonlinearity of perspective within the CNS

    - monocular depth perception

    - the manner in which "pathological" states can be  generated
      experientially

    - the  information-processing  wellspring  of  "risk-taking"
      behavior

    - the  biological   wellspring  of  abusive   and  battering
      behaviors

    and  numerous  other   things  pertaining  to   CNS  function
    (Neuroscientific Duality  Theory redefines  the functionality
    of  every  area  of  the  CNS).  Most  of these things can be
    located in the manuscript by accessing the manuscript via the

    The bibliography is a "selected" one. Since the summer of
    1980,  when  Neuroscientific  Duality  Theory began its rapid
    implosion  toward  unity,  the  theory  has been able to deal
    strongly  with  any,   and  all,  functional-neuroanatomy   /
    neurophysiology papers  that I  have pulled,  at random, from
    the neuroscientific  stacks. The  theory is  regularly put to
    the test in this manner. Further tests of this assertion  are
    welcome.

    I  wish  to  thank  those  who  have  devoted  their lives to
    uncovering the  secrets of  the central  nervous system. Your
    papers have been my "colleagues". I hope that you will  enjoy
    considering  Neuroscientific  Duality  Theory's  synthesis of
    your findings.

                     November 25, 1988, Enfield

you see, John, i long-ago gave credit where credit was, and is, due. if it
seems otherwise to anyone, that's because they are in need of studying the
literature.

but, please, John... all i've left is my Honor. i'll die with it intact,
whether or not anyone ever allows NDT's stuff to be communicated in a
'normal' way.

NDT?

"That side's done. Turn me over." [Saint Lawrence, while being put to death
by being roasted on a grid (258 A. D.)]

i'll be, more and more, moving on to Tapered Harmony.

"Turn me over" :-)

ken collins

John wrote in message <934590155.686849 at server.australia.net.au>...

>Ken Collins wrote in message ...
>>this's old stuff, reprocessed.
>

>It's news to me. My primary interest here is if the same cells for all
>individuals retain the orientation, looking for a genetic component as I've
>always entertained the idea that there simply isn't sufficient genetic
>information to code for every neuron placement and function. There may be
>some intrinsic difference in the determined neurones and the plastic ones,
>this may provide clues to developmental plasticity.
>
>Please provide relevant refs as I would like to follow this through at some
>point, which is a long time down the track anyway at present.
Alternatively,
>go find some new stuff to discuss, I can't remember everything to the
extent
>to determine whether's its news or not. Who do you think I am,
Shereskeskii?