A trip down memory lane

Ken Collins KPaulC at email.msn.com
Sat Aug 14 01:10:40 EST 1999

nope. the hippocampal dynamics are as they are described in AoK...
intermediate-'level' supersystem configuration.

at this 'level' things cannot be considered to be 'stored'.

what's happening is that (as is explained in AoK), be-cause this or that
stimulus set is relatively unfamiliar (relatively novel), the inverting
reward mechanisms are activated, which sets up an 'assigned value' to the
stimulus set, in terms of the neural topology.

as the supersystem 'extracts' this 'assigned value', the hippocampi
'whittle' (AoK, Ap5) away superfluous TD E/I.

as this 'whittling' occurs (via hippocampal 'ratchet-pawling'; AoK, Ap5),
the activation of the inverting reward mechanisms decreases, with
accompanying 'affect' of decreased novelty, and increased familiarity.

as a by-product of all of this, the hippocampi output ever-more-consistent,
ever-more-refined, ever-more-TD E/I(min) supersystem configuration
activation to thalamus, and it's =this= relatively-consistent activation
that underpins the development of cortical microscopic trophic modifications
that are consistently-correlated with the original stimulus set, and which
constitute the stuff of 'memory'.

what's 'stored' in the hippocampi is supersystem configuration stuff that's
relevant only to the work that occurs in the hippocampi, and which is more
relevant to 'affect' than it is to 'memory' because it's the stuff that
determines, on the basis of TD E/I, whether a 'value' will be abstractly
'assigned' to this or that stimulus set, which, further, determines whether
or not the the hippocampal TD E/I-minimization convergence dynamics will
occur.

all of this, and much more that's tightly correlated is explained in AoK.

the hippocampi are 'just' intermediate-'level' supersystem configuration
'servo mechanisms', which are, of course, as is explained in AoK, tightly
integrated with the rest of the supersystem.

K. P. Collins