Shaken baby syndrome

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 15 19:16:13 EST 1999

Don't overlook a very obvious resource: the neuropsychologist who
offered this diagnosis.  Do not take the DSM code too seriously--may be
just what the NP had to use to fly by the insurance company.

Not only is she or she the only one who can say exactly what was meant
by this diagnosis, someone desrving to use the title
"neuropsychologist" should have sufficient background in neuroanatomy,
neurophysiology, neuropathology as well as in the cognitive and
behavioral implications of the diagnosis to clarify the matter better
than an un-guided look through web pages.

He or she should also be able to refer you to relevant PRINTED TEXTS...

I general, I would say one should be thinking in terms of cortical
contusions, diffuse axonal injury, small petechial hemmorhages, that
sort of thing.

AGE at time of injury is also an imnportant variable.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

In <37B22D8E.BAD81C33 at swbell.net> Mark and Jamye Yoder
<mjyoder at swbell.net> writes:

>I am an inexperienced news group user, but I have been reading the
>postings for a few days.  This news group seems to have some very
>knowledgeable members that may be able to guide me to the resources I
>need.  I work in the public school system as an educational
>diagnostician.  I administer and interpret intelligence and
achievement
>tests. I am also responsible for addressing the functional
implications