The color blue is precisely defined.

Dan Ts'o dan at dnn.tsolab.org
Thu Aug 26 02:25:43 EST 1999

ORFNUGEN6 <orfnugen6 at aol.com> wrote:
: Color is not a physical phenomenon.  We all call EM
: of a certain frequency "blue," and we each know what
: we experience when we encounter EM of this frequency.
: But we may each be experiencing something different.
: What blacks perceive as red, Asians may perceive
: as blue, and another specie of animal might perceive
: as some color never before experienced by man.

	While some of what you say is reasonable,
there is no reason to presume that each individual human
perceives colors totally differently, along racial
lines or otherwise.
	To a very, very close approximation, the
neural machinery of nearly all normal humans is
identical, ie the cone receptors, the photopigments,
the underlying circuitry in the retina, and the
circuitry of the visual cortex, the psychophysical
performance in color tasks, etc, etc are all the
same. So there is no reason to believe that, for
th vast majority of normal humans, that, given that
the underlying neural and computation machinery
and color equations/algorithms being the same, that
our perceptual experience (however you are going to
define that), would be different.
	Yes, other species will have different
color perception. Most diurnal mammalian species
are dichromats. Some fish are tetrachromats.